I suggest you ...

Increase linux compatibilty

Using Livemocha on Ubuntu is a pain. Many people with agree with this. Please help us enjoy your site.

289 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    anonymousanonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make it possible to upload previously saved audio  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Use a version of flash that is natively compatible with Linux.  ·   · 
    ElenaElena shared a merged idea: It's not possible to use site since you upgraded Flash up to 11.4 :( Adobe supports only 11.2 for Linux  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Sound submissions not Working on Linux  ·   · 

46 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@

• Anonymous commented  · 

Again... still waiting for it to be fixed!!!

• Anonymous commented  · 

I just tried again and couldn't login...

• Anonymous commented  · 

I won't stop using Linux just because Livemocha is not "supported" by Linux! Ubuntu is far much better than Window$ and Macinto$h, and I won't stop using it just because your site is not "supported" by this wonderful OS! Please fix this ridiculous lack of compatibility with Linux, otherwise, I think I'd better stop using your site! I stopped using it for so long, and now that I'm back with a new account, it happens not to be "supported" on Linux?!!! What's this about? Are you going back in time or something like that?!!! As I just said, or you fix this bug, or I'll end up stopping to use your site!

Thank you!

• LinuxUserUnsupportedLinuxUserUnsupported commented  · 

A site with flash support required. It is almost 2014. Are you moving back in time at livemocha?

Well, together with 'Linux support in progress' (It's a fricking WEB PAGE. The web was DESIGNED to make things platform independent!!! You actually HAVE to spend additional time to make it locked down for only two OSes </rant>). I am done with this site.

• Anonymous commented  · 

With Firefox download this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

Add the following user agent to its preferences: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.2 Safari/537.36

Then on the livemocha site select that user agent.

You should then be able to login.

I'm using flash version 11,2,202,297. Everything works except microphone.

• Eugene NightmarrrEugene Nightmarrr commented  · 

I'm using it on debian wheezy, all goes OK. I've only changed my browser's UA to some windows UA to get possibility to log in.

• Martin VMartin V commented  · 

For linux users: Change the User Agent string to something like this:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.2 Safari/537.36

In chrome it's easy. Press F12, click the small gear-icon in the lower right corner. Go to Overrides, check User Agent, choose Other in the drop-down, and paste the string above.
        The new version of LM has a terrible javascript memory leak, it sucks up all my memory at once. Somehow I got past the login-screen, and was able to choose 'legacy mode'.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Same here, Livemocha doesn't work on Ubuntu 12.04. Funny thing is, that it did work on Ubuntu one or two years ago, when I first signed up. Everything worked just fine, the audio features, even recording from headphones worked. So somebody seemed to made the decision to remove a feature that is already there, for no obvious reasons. I wonder what that person thought? "You know what, let's ditch the Linux users. We will have to rework the site, yes, and we will loose about 3% of our users, but hey, that new plattform-dependent plattform just looks shiny!"

• RaulRaul commented  · 

Same problem as well. Flash does not work so I do not user Livemocha for the moment :(

• Anonymous commented  · 

I cannot us e LiveMocha because of the Flash requirement.
        So I won't help anybody and wiil end stopping to use it.

• MellandaMellanda commented  · 

i have the same problem, why are you so ignorant livemocha?

• alvarkoalvarko commented  · 

For archlinux and chromium browser:

Install chromium-pepper-flash (or chromium-pepper-flash-stable) from aur

Disable all other flash plugins:
        Type chrome://plugins/ in the adress bar and press Enter
        Click on Details button on the top right
        Click on Disable near all the Flash plugins except the first one

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Better, get rid of flash (but if you could just disable that lousy test…)

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

So how's the porting to flash 11.2 going?.. Wanted to correct an exercice today. I won't, cause I can't !!

• Anonymous commented  · 

This is ridiculous. Users (many of them paying users) being ignored because they use Linux. Can I get a refund?

• LorenzoLorenzo commented  · 

PLEASE READ :)

For anyone having problems watching the videos...follow these simple steps:

1) Open the source code of the LiveMocha page with the video...you'll find a string like this:

flashvars['videoUrl'] = 'http%3A%2F%2Fptr2.prod.cf.static-livemocha.com%2Fcommon2%2Fcontent%2Factive%2Fes-mx%2Fc_1%2Fv_100%2Fes_6_1.flv';

It's easy to spot among the others as it ends in FLV.

2) Convert the HTML entities back to text with an online tool like this: http://entities.online-toolz.com/tools/text-html-entities-convertor.php (second form)

3) You'll get this, ready to be opened with VLC or any other video player:

http://ptr2.prod.cf.static-livemocha.com/common2/content/active/es-mx/c_1/v_100/es_6_1.flv

Thanks.

• edgar navaedgar nava commented  · 

I'm sick of livemocha. Could anyone tell me about another page to learn languages?

• Anonymous commented  · 

I wonder why does Live Mocha require Flash 11.3. Is it so cutting edge that requires the absolutely newest version? I believe they may be investing in the new, for now Chrome only, version but guys, you just need to remove an unnecessary verification!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base